07 July, 2011

Sensible GOP Leadership

"  I cannot deny a person, a human being, a taxpayer, a worker, the people of my district and across this state, the State of New York, and those people who make this the great state that it is the same rights that I have with my wife.”- Senator Mark Grisanti


       



        Buffalo's Republican senator Mark Grisanti who had run his campaign on the basis of opposing same-sex marriage has offered a sensible and rational conclusion to his recent decision to support same sex marriage rights. Grisanti in the video above says "I cannot deny a person, a human being, a taxpayer, a worker, the people of my district and across this state, the State of New York, and those people who make this the great state that it is the same rights that I have with my wife.” He goes onto say "I was raised to believe that marriage is between a man and a woman... I'm also here with a background as an attorney, through which I look at things and apply reason". His choice to turn his beliefs around he said were based on "numerous studies and research" and he continues by saying "I can not legally find an argument against gay marriage. Who am I to say that someone does not have the same rights that I have with my wife, who I love, or to have the 1,300 plus rights I share with her".
       This is a milestone for Republican leadership, and in general sensible politics. For the first time in what feels like forever, a politician is standing up against his own morals and values to decide what is good for the collective will of the people. Not only that, he has dismissed his ideological counterparts and actually did the studies and research which proved that same sex marriages would not infringe on religious communities. The ceremonies for these couples would be done in town halls or various other locations appropriate for marriage. This is Mark Grisanti's very rational and brave stance as Republicans all around him will surely denounce his reasoning.
        Unlike the Republican party's leadership under Boehner and McConnell, Grisanti has separated himself from the ideological warriors, and has made a decision based on facts, studies, and research, rather than propaganda, personal morals or religious belief. This is the kind of leadership we need in the Republican party. We need people like Grisanti to set an example for the kind of ethical behavior that all lawmakers and politicians should abide by when deliberating what would be the best for the people of this country. I congratulate Grisanti on his bold and courageous move to support gay marriage in spite of fear mongering, god fearing and politically motivated politicians. Remember when Grisanti said he "looked at things and applied reason"?... Take notes Washington.


-Signing Out- John Thomas

No comments: